Sunday, March 28, 2010

Census Late Notice

I received a notice last week from the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, informing me that I needed to hurry up and return my 2010 Census form. The notice informed me that the "deadline" was soon approaching, and that I needed to send the form in now.

How can that be? Question 1 asks, "How many people WERE living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?" Does not the wording of the question imply, or even demand, that I must wait until after April 1, 2010, to answer that question? If I return the form prior to April 1, 2010, and someone moves out, or moves in, or dies, then my response could be wrong. Knowing how the government works, then I am certain that I would be guilty of providing false information, and subject to some kind of fine, imprisonment or both.

I'll not be returning my Census form until after April 1, 2010. I certainly want my count to be accurate so that my community can get its "fair share" as stated so eloquently in the Census notice:

"Your response is important. Results from the 2010 Census will be used to help each community get its fair share of government funds for highways, schools, health facilities, and many other programs you and your neighbors need. Without a complete, accurate census, your community may not receive its fair share."

How about letting me just keep my fair share to start with. Does the Federal Government think it is doing me any favors by taxing and regulating me into oblivion? The feds are responsible for the Interstate Highway System. They should not be meddling in "schools, health facilities, and many other programs" as stated above. Let me and my state decide what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment